Saturday, May 11, 2013

Hello! Welcome to my blog and thank you for stopping by. I design and create handcrafted greeting cards. I like to call this passion of mine "visual poetry" ....imagery on paper. Please feel free to browse the photos of my cards and leave a comment.

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Beer Bottle Birthday


Hello everyone!  Masculine cards are always a challenge for me. I have 3 men in my life for whom I make birthday cards. Coming up with 3 different ideas each year is not easy. I try to make them as personal as possible and sometimes it takes days to finally come up with a theme that I feel is the perfect one.  Here is a birthday card that I made for one of my nephews whose birthday fell in August.

I began by creating the beer crate. This was done by taking kraft card stock, scoring it in 1/2" intervals and then running a brown ink pad over it to create the effect of wood. Next, this panel of card stock was cut into 4 strips along the score lines.  A strip of card stock was adhered vertically at both the left and right ends of the crate in order that the slats could be attached with brads. This was put aside.

My next step was to create the beer bottles. These were die cut in brown card stock and then crystal lacquer was applied to give the appearance of glass. The bottle caps were die cut in a golden pearl card stock and adhered to the tops of the bottles. (I created labels for the beer bottles, using the name of the most popular beer in my nephew's city). The 6 beer bottles were then attached to the crate with dimensionals, offsetting the ones in the rear of the crate.  This was also put aside.

The beer glass was die cut in a golden pearl card stock. Since the beer glass had cut-outs in the front, I had to mat it with colored paper to give the appearance that it was filled with beer. And to make it look really REAL, foam was added to the of of the beer glass using a snow maker.

Finally, the base card was prepared in brown card stock, layered with kraft, followed by ivory and brown plaid digital paper. The beer crate and glass were then adhered to the card front. The sentiments were die cut in the golden pearl card stock and adhered as shown.

This completed my project.  It took a lot of work but I was very pleased with the way it turned out. 

Here is a list of the products used in this project:

Card stock:  PTI Dark Chocolate, GKD Kraft, GKD Ivory, Golden Pearl (unknown)
Dies:  Frantic Stamper Soda/Beer Bottle and Can die set, Trim Craft Food and Drink die set, Sue Wilson's A Little Birdie Told Me, Crafter's Companion Simple Sentiments
Other:  digital paper, brads, Marvy Snow Marker, 3D Crystal Lacquer, adhesive, dimensionals


Thanks for visiting my blog. Any comments would be very much appreciated. 
Until next time, make it  great day!


2 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

What a great card and so realistic looking. You are so creative in the construction of the crate and beer bottles. And the mug of beer with the foam is great too. I am sure it was a big hit with your nephew.

Anonymous said...

I also struggle to come up with new ideas for masculine cards so was pleased to see your example along with very detailed instruction as to how to achieve this lovely card. Thank you for sharing your talent.