Saturday, May 11, 2013

Hello! Welcome to my blog and thank you for stopping by. I design and create handcrafted greeting cards. I like to call this passion of mine "visual poetry" ....imagery on paper. Please feel free to browse the photos of my cards and leave a comment.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Poppies in the Spotlight




Red or orange poppies are one of my favorite flowers to color. They are part of my ethnic heritage and have been embroidered on ethnic costumes, decorative towels, etc., since the beginning of time. I chose this Hero Arts Poppy Background stamp to make this card for a challenge calling for the "spotlight" technique.

I prepared my base card, 5x5 inches, in white. I cut and embossed a black panel with a Cheery Lynn Dutch Scalloped Square die and adhered it to the base card. I added another layer in white which was cut and embossed with Spellbinders Adorning Squares die.

For my focal point I used a brayer to ink up my poppy background stamp in GKD black ink. I stamped my background on white card stock. I inked up the stamp once again and stamped it a second time on another piece of white card stock. One of these background stamped layers was then adhered to my card. 

With the second stamped background I colored an area that I wanted to "spotlight" using Copic markers. When done coloring, I used Spellbinders Standard Circles to cut out that colored area. Using a die from the same set, I cut another slightly larger circle in white and adhered it to the back of the "spotlight"  circle. This was then popped on my card, aligning it with the line art background image. Hence, the "spotlight". 

The sentiment, from GKD Framed Greetings, was stamped and then die cut with Spellbinders Scalloped Rectangles Small. And that  completed my project.

Hope you enjoyed this post. I enjoyed making this card to share with you.


This card was entered into the following challenge(s):
MFP Speedy TV - Sketch with a Twist Challenge #51


2 comments:

Angela Crafty Spot said...

Very pretty card!! Love the poppies! Thanks for joining me this week at SWAT!!
Angela
http://angelascraftyspot.blogspot.com

Unknown said...


Gorgeous Olga! Love those poppies.